Stuart Cahill of the Boston Herald won first place in the Associated Press Sports Editors 2019 contest for sports action photo for the B Division.
Cahill will be presented a first-place plaque at the 2020 APSE Summer Conference Banquet at The Alexander Hotel in Indianapolis on June 27.
Sports editors in the B Division submitted 47 action photo entries. The contest is open to APSE members. Click here to join.
Contest chair Lisa Wilson and fellow APSE officers Todd M. Adams, Gary Potosky and Dan Spears prepared the entries.
In February, Associated Press photographers selected a top 10. The winner in each category will receive a plaque at the summer conference. The second- through 10th-place finishers will receive certificates.
Judging in the action photo category was based quality of photo.
The top 10 is listed below with links to the winning entries.
- Stuart Cahill, Boston Herald
- Danielle Parhizkaran, The Record (Bergen, N.J.)
- Sam Greene, The Cincinnati Enquirer
- Nancy Lane, Boston Herald
- Albert Cesare, The Cincinnati Enquirer
- Ian Maule, Tulsa World
- Andrew Nelles, The Tennessean (Nashville, Tenn.) (No. 13 when you scroll down)
- Jenna Watson, IndyStar (Indianapolis)
- Pat McDonough, Courier Journal (Louisville, Ky.)
- Anne-Marie Caruso, The Record (Bergen, N.J.)