By Jack Berninger, APSE Executive Director
The program for the 2015 Associated Press Sports Editors Conference in San Diego is being finalized, but one thing is certain – a new experience awaits many of the attendees when the 42nd annual conference takes place June 24-27 at The Westgate Hotel.
APSE will offer conference attendees hands-on instruction in smart phone journalism and other emerging technology through what is being called The Lab.
APSE members will pre-register for special small-group training in a variety of applications and disciplines, affording them the ability to take what they have learned, apply it immediately and return to their newsrooms equipped share with co-workers.
Among the trainers will be smartphone journalism expert Val Hoeppner, CEO of Val Hoeppner Media and Consulting, LLC. Hoeppner travels to newsrooms, universities and media conferences to train journalists in mobile, social, video and multi-platform storytelling. After spending 20 years in newsrooms as a photojournalist, newsroom leader and multimedia director, Hoeppner is director of the Center for Innovation in Media at Middle Tennessee State University.
Registration fees remained unchanged
Conference registration is now open, and fees remain unchanged from last year.
The fees, if paid by June 1:
- $250 for newspapers with circulation of more than 100,000 and stand-alone websites with monthly uniques of two million or more. Late registration after June 1 — $275
- $200 for newspapers with circulation of under 100,000 and stand-alone websites with monthly uniques of more than two million. Late registration after June 1 — $225
- $100 for students. Late registration after June 1 — $125
- $100 for Writers Wing members ($150 for non-members). Late registration after June 1 — $125 ($175)
To register and pay online, go to the following link:
If paying by check, make checks payable to APSE and send to:
PO Box 29743
Richmond, VA 23242
To make reservations at The Westgate Hotel:
Call (800) 522-1564 or (800) 619-557-3628 and ask for the APSE Conference rate of $169
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, credit card information and the name of the group
- There is no online reservation system
- Reservation deadline is May 25 at 5 p.m.
(Jack Berninger is executive director of APSE. Contact him at email@example.com)