Scott Varley of the Southern California News Group won first place in the Associated Press Sports Editors 2019 contest in A Division: Action photo.
Varley, with his photo from the World Series, edged runner-up Michael Chow of The Arizona Republic. ESPN.com’s Joe Amon placed third.
Contest chair Lisa Wilson and fellow APSE officers Todd M. Adams, Gary Potosky and Dan Spears prepared the entries. Sports editors in the A Division entered 52 action photos.
In February, photographers from The Associated Press met and handled judging for the photo portion of the APSE contest. They chose a top 10 and then ranked them 1-10.
The contest is open to APSE members. Click here to join.
Varley will be presented with a first-place plaque at the 2020 APSE Summer Conference banquet at the Alexander Hotel in Indianapolis on June 27. The second- through 10th-place winners will receive certificates.
The top 10, with links to the winning entries:
- Scott Varley, Southern California News Group (Anaheim, Calif.)
- Michael Chow, The Arizona Republic (image No. 32 in gallery)
- Joe Amon, ESPN.com
- Jose Fajardo, The Mercury News (San Jose, Calif.)
- Kirthmon F. Dozier, Detroit Free Press
- Michael Bryant, The Philadelphia Inquirer
- Randy Vazquez, The Mercury News (San Jose, Calif)
- José M. Osorio, Chicago Tribune
- David Santiago, Miami Herald
- Jon Shapley, Houston Chronicle