Nick Kelly and Nick Gray of The Tuscaloosa News won first place in the 2021 Associated Press Sports Editors contest in the Division D Event Coverage category for their comprehensive coverage of Bryce Young winning the Heisman Trophy. Event Coverage is a new category in the APSE contest.
McClain Baxley, Ryne Dennis, Joshua Jones and Marc Weiszer of the Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald finished second, and Tim Buckley of The Daily Advertiser in Lafayette, La., took third.
Sports editors in Division D submitted 17 entries in Event Coverage.
In February, judges at the APSE Winter Conference in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., selected a top 10, with each judge ranking the entries in order from 1 to 10 on a separate ballot. Entries were given 10 points for a first-place vote, nine points for second and so on down to one point for a 10th-place vote. The final 10 were given to a second judging group, which ranked the entries 1-10 in the same fashion.
The final rankings are determined by tallying the ballots.
The winner in each category will receive a plaque at the summer conference. The second- through 10th-place finishers will receive frameable certificates.
The top 10 is listed below with voting results and links to the winning entries.
3. The Daily Advertiser (Lafayette, La.) – Tim Buckley 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 40 points (1 first-place vote)
4. The Fayetteville (N.C.) Observer – David Thompson, Rodd Baxley, Chapel Fowler 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 36 points
T6. Sun Journal (Lewiston, Maine) – Wil Kramlich, Adam Robinson, Lee Horton 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 29 points
8. PowerMizzou.com – Gabe DeArmond, Sean Williams, Mitchell Forde 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 27 points
9. The Daily News Journal (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) – Cecil Joyce 1, 2, 3, 17 points
10. Daily Record (Rockaway, N.J.) – Jane Allison Havsy, 16 points