Geoff Calkins of The Daily Memphian won first place in the 2022 Associated Press Sports Editors contest in the Division B Columns category.
APSE contest winners and top-10 finishers will be honored at the 2023 APSE Summer Conference banquet at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas on July 12. Click here to register for the conference, which begins on July 9 and will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the founding of APSE.
Matt Vautour of MassLive.com/The Republican of Springfield, Mass., was second, and J.T. Keith of the Clarion Ledger in Jackson, Miss. was third.
Calkins will receive a plaque. The second- through 10th-place finishers will receive frameable certificates.
Sports editors in Division C submitted 31 entries in column writing, with four columns per entry.
In February, judges at the APSE Winter Conference in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., and remote judges around the country selected a top 10, with each judge ranking the entries in order from 1 to 10. Entries were given 10 points for a first-place vote, nine points for second and so on down to one point for a 10th-place vote. The final 10 were given to a second judging group, which ranked the entries 1-10 in the same fashion.
The top 10 is listed below with voting results and links to the winning entries.
- Geoff Calkins, The Daily Memphian 1 | 2 | 3 | 4, 56 points (4 first-place votes)
- Matt Vautour, MassLive.com/The Republican 1 | 2 | 3 | 4, 45 points
- J.T. Keith, Clarion Ledger (Jackson, Miss.) 1 | 2 | 3 | 4, 42 points
- Aaron McFarling, The Roanoke Times 1 | 2 | 3 | 4, 40 points (1 first-place vote)
- Amie Just, Lincoln Journal Star 1 | 2 | 3 | 4, 38 points
- Paul Klee, The Gazette (Colorado Springs) 1 | 2 | 3 | 4, 37 points (1 first-place vote)
- Dave Boling, The Spokesman-Review (Spokane, Wash.) 1 | 2 | 3 | 4, 30 points
- Ken Willis, Daytona Beach News-Journal 1 | 2 | 3 | 4, 19 points
- Shad Powers, The Desert Sun (Palm Springs, Calif.) 1 | 2 | 3 | 4, 13 points