The San Antonio Express-News is seeking an assistant high school sports editor for its award-winning sports department.
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply through the website linked above.
The assistant high school editor is responsible for data collection and coordination of statistical coverage of high school sports for MYSA.com, ExpressNews.com and the print product of the San Antonio Express-News.
- Manage the part-time and freelance sports agate clerks and assign them daily, weekly or long-term tasks
- Help coordinate high school coverage during football season
- Handle press credentials for high school freelancers and reporters as needed
- Dictate, edit, book and design space in the newspaper for all high school and local agate
- Serve as the liaison between the newspaper and Newsengin (software developer that we use for our online and print statistics )
- Prepare and coordinate the newspaper’s online coaches database by collecting seasonal questionnaires by sport
- Coordinate with high school athletic directors and manage any call takers that the school districts have hired to call in box scores
- Curate all received statistics – by email and by phone — from high school coaches and prepare the files for online and print packages that appear seven days per week
- Load schedules and statistical information to update player and team files and leaders both on MYSA and in print
- Assist in updating player information on rosters to correct spellings, update classifications, etc., to make the database work more smoothly and be displayed correctly on MYSA and Expressnews.com and in print
Must be highly organized and responsible in keeping track of athletic schedules and reporter assignments for dozens of games on busy weekends, and in serving as the paper’s keeper of game schedules and statistics
- Bachelor degree preferred
- Experience covering high school sports and editing high school sports coverage required
- Organizational skills required
Do you need to be in San Antonio?
The job can be worked remote, but would prefer the person to eventually reside in San Antonio. The sports staff works mostly remotely but will need to be in office or at events occasionally.
Are their writing opportunities?
No, this is not a writing position. It is mostly dealing a mix of being a liaison with coaches and freelancers and also doing typical agate duties, including importing and exporting box scores online and in print. Any writing opportunities will come at the employee and sports editor’s discretion.