The Miami Herald is looking for a deputy sports editor dedicated to working with talented journalists in a fast-paced, digitally focused newsroom in a region with this diverse range of professional and collegiate sports.
The successful candidate has the ability to plan and execute enterprising storytelling in a competitive media market that includes professional football, basketball, baseball, hockey and soccer, along with top tier college and prep teams. We’re talking Dolphins, Heat, Marlins, Panthers, Inter Miami, University of Miami, Florida International University and some of the top high school programs in the country.
You will work with the sports editor and our regional growth team to focus on building the best digital platform for sports coverage in the country. This includes real-time reporting, analysis, narrative writing, podcasts and video, all with an emphasis on audience engagement across social platforms.
Work with reporters to develop stories that resonate with readers and go beyond what happened on the field or court.
- Elevate stories with smart and careful editing.
- Plan and execute live event coverage; and coordinate initiatives that involve fan feedback or other engagement efforts.
- Create, track and communicate key social engagement metrics.
- Keep track of sports buzz and what’s trending across social platforms.
- Provide leadership on developing audiences on social media and emerging social platforms.
- Display creativity in everything from developing fresh content to writing SEO-friendly headlines to sharing content socially to having an eye for images and video.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years’ experience as a sports journalism leader, with emphasis on digital content and multimedia platforms.
- Experience in high level decision-making with complex, impactful or sensitive news content.
- Advanced understanding of various news and information content management systems.
- Demonstrated change leader who collaborates and communicates effectively with diverse people and personalities.
- Strong social media skills.
- Understanding of best uses of live and recorded video and podcasting
- Excellent communication and time-management skills.
- Understanding of the changing sports media landscape and ability to adapt strategies that address continually changing market and consumer needs and desires.