Star Tribune Sports will hire a journalist that will contribute to publishing processes on all platforms: print, digital, social media, newsletters, and more. Qualifications include: Editing experience and command of AP style; ability to thrive under deadline pressure; availability to work nights and weekends; strong track record of teamwork and collaboration; and social media and digital publishing savvy.
This editor must have high-level copy-editing ability – accuracy, balance and clarity – and understand how these skills can best be used to reach audiences on multiple platforms. We are looking for an excellent eye for detail, time management skills and diplomacy. The Star Tribune Sports section is regularly honored among the 10 best in America. You would become a key member of the team that assembles, edits and upholds standards for this section. This editor could also help Star Tribune Sports with emerging priorities, such as newsletters and online audience-related initiatives.
Applicants must be versatile and driven to ensure that content in Sports meets Star Tribune standards for quality, accuracy, style and taste. You must have a flexible approach to work and display collaboration and communication skills. You also have the demeanor to work quickly and calmly as deadlines approach – and then consistently meet them.
While experience is required, we are looking for an editor who could grow into other positions within Star Tribune Sports over time. This editor will be coached by our sports copy desk chiefs, our newsroom leaders focused on digital audience, assistant sports editors and others.
- Edit content for typographical, factual, syntactical, punctuation, style, mathematical, spelling (including of all proper nouns), contextual or grammatical errors.
- Write headlines, cutlines, summaries and other display elements that entice readers into stories online and in print and accurately reflect story content.
- Optimize stories for social and search.
- Curate and promote content on digital platforms, and contribute to our newsletter production.
- Strong news judgment
- Knowledge of current events
- A highly refined ability to spot errors
- Outstanding communication and collaboration skills
- Experience editing social media
- A sense of humor, resilience and respect.
Please apply here with a resume and letter explaining why you are the best person for the job.
Some top benefits include: a new downtown office with gym access to Capella Tower Health Club in the building and access to rooftop amenities in warm months; commuter benefits; competitive medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; 401(k) matching; tuition assistance; pet insurance and unlimited digital access to Star Tribune. In addition, Star Tribune has partnerships with many organizations that offer our employees a variety of discounts.