Advance Media New York is looking for a standout leader for the sports department at Syracuse.com and The Post-Standard. It’s searching for someone to manage a talented, award-winning reporting team in a devoted sports town. How would you do exceptional journalism on college sports? How would you hold accountable some programs that have seen better days? Can you encourage surprising and fun coverage? What innovations in audio, video and data would you lead? Advance Media New York would love to hear your answers.
For this position, Advance Media New York is looking for a candidate with:
- Experience editing both breaking sports news and more in-depth, enterprise reporting.
- Management or team leadership experience, with excellent collaboration skills.
- Ability to motivate veteran employees and mentor new reporters.
- A sound understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics, and story structure.
- Experience using social media to identify potential stories and promote content.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Success developing content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
- Some experience using innovative methods to grow audience and revenue.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communication or related field required
- 7-10 years of experience in print and digital media
- Proven ability to lead, manage and prioritize workflow of direct reports
- Drive digital innovation and audience growth while maintaining high journalistic standards.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong business acumen, communication and analytical skills required