Cincinnati.com/The Enquirer is looking for a college sports editor to join the team.
The ideal candidate will work with college sports reporters to break news, take sports fans inside local programs and grow our digital audience through engaging content. Other essential job duties:
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media.
- Assign and edit engaging content around college sports.
- Work with reporters to create watchdog journalism.
- Produce storytelling journalism that meets audience needs and interests on every platform.
You will plan, edit and sometimes create content around college sports in the Greater Cincinnati market. The right candidate will have 3-5 years of experience in editing on deadline and also sports writing/reporting. Experience with audience-insight metrics, mobile engagement, collegiate sports editing/reporting and enterprise reporting are a plus. While focused on college sports, you’re a part of the sports leadership team and will be responsible for overseeing the department if the senior editor is away.
The position requires a strong self-starter able to work a flexible schedule. While the daily coverage of sports is generally set to a predictable schedule, the ability to swarm around breaking news and deliver worthwhile enterprise to our audience also are main components of a successful candidate. A qualified candidate also will have experience in digital headline writing/SEO, multimedia content optimization and engagement with fanbases in our market.
Typical Job Duties
- Manages coverage of collegiate sports focusing primarily on the University of Cincinnati and Xavier University.
- Edits content and provides coaching to reporters.
- Uses metrics to inform story choices and shape coverage strategies.
- Works with digital production team to ensure optimal engagement on stories.
- Identifies regular opportunities for enterprise/investigative journalism.
- Ensures coverage plans are developed and executed for daily coverage as well as tentpole events like the Crosstown Shootout.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to develop and edit top-notch journalism.
- Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills.
- Exceptional core journalism skills (reporter, producing, editing).
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Advance knowledge of social media and how to engage fan base on digital platforms in public space.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Knows how to use time effectively in a 24-hour news environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP, and local style.
- Industry knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Command of media law and Principle of Ethical Conduct.
Required Work Experience, Training, and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, or equivalent in experience and education.
- 3-5 years of experience with advanced digital editing techniques on multiple platforms.
- Must have technical skills – understanding use of metrics, Microsoft Office Suite, videography, and photography.
- Must have required skills – social media, advanced storytelling, advanced analytical ability, interpersonal skills, time management, and interpersonal skills.
This position often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Click here to apply.