Job Title: Managing Editor Sports Business Journal
Reporting To: Publisher and Executive Editor
Sports Business Journal is a globally recognized brand that is the go-to news and network source for thousands of sports business professionals. Producing breaking content every day, hosting over 20 events a year, and offering excellent content to thousands of subscribers, the task representing this portfolio of products is an important one.
The Managing Editor will be responsible for leading the day-to-day operations of the newsroom with 40 writers, editors and graphic designers across various products. The Managing Editor will offer direction on range/scope of coverage, what is needed out of reporters, research and design, as well as accountability and meeting deadlines while monitoring results of various content campaigns and editing content pieces. This person must be a leader and developer of people.
Applicants should apply through Recruiting@LeadersGroup.com
- Oversee Sports Business Journal newsroom (Digital, Print, Newsletters),.
- Run the operational side of the newsroom, ensuring content assignments are made, story and production deadlines are adhered to and editorial standards are met.
- Develop, oversee, and edit stories.
- Manage reporters and steer reporters toward beat-driven hard news breaks and scoops; work directly with reporters and manage them throughout the day on stories of all types.
- Supervise and work with reporters to add context, perspective, and voice to their content.
- Manage and prioritize reporter activities to maximize the results for our audience.
- Manage editors across various products and offer direction on range/scope of coverage, what is needed out of reporters, research and design – with a focus on accountability and deadlines.
- Represent the editorial department in company executive leadership team meetings, speaking on behalf of the interests of the newsroom as it relates to the company as a whole.
- Work with Audience Engagement and Business Intelligence teams to develop and execute strategies that build and grow important content consumption metrics such as time spent viewing, pages per session, sessions per day, open and click to read rates, etc.
- Orchestrate staff-produced content – images, charts, infographics – for multiple products across multiple platforms. Specifically, this requires conceptualizing story-telling strategies with reporters and making snap decisions on where best to route content.
- Collaborate with the multimedia teams and execute a strategy on audio and video elements as a part of storytelling.
- Routinely and repeatedly determine story treatment and placement.
- Manage the daily news meeting.
- Maximize newsroom operational efficiency by assessing overall staff situation and build integration plan to optimize newsroom operational effectiveness.
- Work with Audience Engagement and Global Technology groups on new product development related to content packaging and distribution.
- Regularly work with the Sales team on content revenue generation ideas to ensure goals and market interests are met.
- Regularly participate in and attend Sports Business Journal events and others as requested, which may include presenting, moderating, or interviewing notable executives in front of large live audiences.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with all colleagues and sources.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with management team on larger organizational decisions, including brand management, operational efficiencies, and business optimization.
- Work diligently to create a diverse and inclusive work force. Drive a team-oriented, collaborative culture where staff are consistently developed, positional flexibility is emphasized, and bench strength is built.
- Take on any other assignment made by manager(s).
Qualifications, Skills and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Minimum of 8 to 10 years of operations management and/or team leadership experience.
- Enjoys operating in a dynamic, fluid, rapidly changing environment.
- Daily and/or weekly print experience for a business news or trade operation.
- Beat reporter experience or equivalent experience.
- Strong wordsmith who has demonstrated a talent for reporter and story development.
- Serves as a strong, respected, inspiring, motivational force in newsroom.
- Hands-on experience in guiding and contributing to large-scale editorial projects.
- Experience working in digital environments, multimedia and social media.
This job description is not exhaustive, and the job holder will be required to carry out from time to time tasks in addition to the above that will be both reasonable and within their capabilities