The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette sports department is looking for an ambitious editor to assist in managing an award-winning staff in one of America’s most passionate sports cities. We’re looking for someone who understands how to engage audiences on all platforms, can guide a team of talented journalists and is familiar with the Pittsburgh sports landscape. The PG, a perennial Top 10 performer in APSE’s annual contests, is deeply committed to providing market-best coverage of Pittsburgh’s pro, college and high school sports. The PG newsroom is physically located on Pittsburgh’s North Shore between PNC Park (home of the Pirates) and Acrisure Stadium (home of the Steelers).
What You’ll Do
- Help direct daily and long-term coverage of all Pittsburgh sports, from professionals to high schools
- Create and direct innovative storytelling techniques to drive the department further into the digital future
- Edit and promote content across all platforms — print, web, video and audio
- Make decisions about what we cover and how we cover it, assigning stories and projects
- Directly supervise a team of editors, reporters and producers
- Some nights, weekends and holidays will be required
- An understanding of the Pittsburgh sports scene
- Experience managing projects and daily coverage
- Proficient in digital content management tools
- Fundamental editing, coaching and collaborative skills
- Reporting and research skills necessary to become a subject-matter expert
- Skills in brainstorming, planning and coordinating multimedia storytelling
- High-level social media literacy (Twitter, Facebook)
- Basic skills in analytics (Chartbeat, Google Analytics)
- Basic knowledge of what works in multimedia storytelling
- Proficient at editing for the web
- Headline writing for digital audiences
- Ability to aggregate content (text, video, social media) from one’s topical area
Other Things to Know
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- We encourage everyone to apply who shares our passion for indispensable journalism and our drive to create a sustainable business model to support it.
- As an equal opportunity employer, the Post-Gazette is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture, and we encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with special needs.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism– required
- 3 to 5 years of sports news experience, preferably on digital platforms – required
- 1 year of managerial/supervisory experience – preferred
- Strong line editing experience – required
- Knowledge of social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat – required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills and attention to detail
- Ability to effectively manage and mentor staff
- Display exceptional work ethic, time management, and organization skills.
To apply, go to:
www.post-gazette.com/careers or email: firstname.lastname@example.org