Anthony Stalcup of the Marietta Daily Journal won first place in the Associated Press Sports Editors 2019 contest for action photo in the D Division.
Stalcup will be presented with his first-place plaque at the 2020 APSE Summer Conference Banquet on June 27 at The Alexander hotel in Indianapolis.
Cayla Nimmo of the Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune finished second.
Contest chair Lisa Wilson and fellow APSE officers Todd M. Adams, Gary Potosky and Dan Spears prepared the entries. Sports editors in the D Division entered 32 photos in the category. Click here to join and enter the contest for 2020.
In February, Associated Press photographers selected a top 10. The winner in each category will receive a plaque at the summer conference. The second- through ninth-place photographers will receive certificates.
Judging in the action photo category was based quality of photo.
Action photos were a single photo from a live event.
A list of the Top 9:
1. Anthony Stalcup, Marietta Daily Journal
2. Cayla Nimmo, Casper Star-Tribune (photo #1)
3. Kyle Dawson, Aiken (S.C.) Standard
4. Artie Walker Jr., Aiken (S.C.) Standard
5. Tristen Rouse, Columbia Missourian
6. Jason Malmont, The Carlisle Sentinel
7. Mike Daly, Shasta County Sports
8. Andrew Shurtleff, The Daily Progress (Charlottesville, Va.)
9. Tony Hord, Shasta County Sports