Amie Just, Luke Mullin, Jordan McAlpine, Kenneth Ferriera and Justin Wan of the Lincoln Journal Star won first place in the 2022 Associated Press Sports Editors contest in the Division B Event Coverage category for their stories on the University of Nebraska hiring Matt Rhule as its football coach.
APSE contest winners and top-10 finishers will be honored at the 2023 APSE Summer Conference banquet at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas on July 12. Click here to register for the conference, which begins on July 9 and will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the founding of APSE.
Capital Gazette of Annapolis, Md., was second for its coverage of the Army-Navy football game, and the Columbia (Mo.) Daily Tribune took third for its coverage of Missouri men’s basketball hiring Dennis Gates.
The Lincoln Journal Star will receive a plaque. The second- through 10th-place finishers will receive frameable certificates.
Sports editors in Division C submitted 22 entries in Event Coverage. Each entry could include up to five articles about an event from a 24-hour period.
Contest chair Naila-Jean Meyers and fellow APSE officers Jorge Rojas, Dan Spears and Ed Reed prepared the entries. The contest is open to APSE members. Click here to join.
Contest results: Sections, digital, video | Writing and photography
In February, judges at the APSE Winter Conference in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., and remote judges around the country selected a top 10, with each judge ranking the entries in order from 1 to 10. Entries were given 10 points for a first-place vote, nine points for second and so on down to one point for a 10th-place vote. The final 10 were given to a second judging group, which ranked the entries 1-10 in the same fashion.
The top 10 is listed below with voting results and links to the winning entries.
- Lincoln Journal Star, Amie Just, Luke Mullin, Jordan McAlpine, Kenneth Ferriera, Justin Wan: Nebraska football hires Matt Rhule. 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5, 55 points (3 first-place votes)
- Capital Gazette (Annapolis, Md.), Bill Wagner, Katherine Fominykh, Paul Gillespie: Army-Navy football game. 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5, 41 points (1 first-place vote)
- Columbia (Mo.) Daily Tribune, Chris Kwiecinski, Gabby Velasquez, Don Shrubshell and Madeline Carter: Missouri men’s basketball hires Dennis Gates. 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5, 39 points
- The Daily Memphian, Geoff Calkins and Tim Buckley: The Memphis Showboats return to USFL. 1 | 2 | 3 , 36 points (1 first-place vote)
- Daytona Beach News-Journal, Zach Dean, Ken Willis, Chris Boyle, Nigel Cook: Daytona 500. 1 | 2 | 3 | 4, 34 points
- Clarion Ledger (Jackson, Miss.), Stefan Krajisnik, Langston Newsome, Dani Mohr: Death of Mike Leach. 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 32 points (1 first-place vote)
- The Commercial Appeal (Memphis, Tenn.), Jason Munz and Mark Giannotto: Memphis men’s basketball NCAA ruling. 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5, 29 points
- BamaCentral, Joey Blackwell, Katie Windham, Mason Smith, Christopher Walsh: Tennessee football beats Alabama. 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5, 27 points
- The Gazette (Colorado Springs), Brent Briggeman, Luke Zahlmann, Skyler Ballard, Timothy Hurst: Pikes Peak Hill Climb auto race. 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5, 23 points
- Naples Daily News, Greg Hardwig, Izubee Charles, Alex Martin, Dennis Maffezzoli: GEICO Nationals basketball tournament. 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5, 14 points