Jane Allison Havsy of the Daily Record in Rockaway, N.J., won first place in the Associated Press Sports Editors 2022 contest in the Division D Game Story category for college lacrosse coverage.
APSE contest winners will be honored at the 2023 APSE Summer Conference banquet at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas on July 12. Click here to register for the conference, which begins on July 9 and will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the founding of APSE.
Rachel Roberts of the Idaho Statesman in Boise finished second, and Dennis Knight of the Savannah Morning News took third.
Havsy will receive a plaque. The second- through 10th-place finishers will receive frameable certificates.
Sports editors in Division D submitted 50 Game Story entries.
Contest chair Naila-Jean Meyers and fellow APSE officers Jorge Rojas, Dan Spears and Ed Reed prepared the entries. The contest is open to APSE members. Click here to join.
Contest results: Sections, digital, video | Writing and photography
In February, judges at the APSE Winter Conference in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., and remote judges around the country selected a top 10, with each judge ranking the entries in order from 1 to 10. Entries were given 10 points for a first-place vote, nine points for second and so on down to one point for a 10th-place vote. The final 10 were given to a second judging group, which ranked the entries 1-10 in the same fashion.
The top 10 is listed below with voting results and links to the winning entries.
- Jane Allison Havsy, Daily Record 51 points (3 first-place votes)
- Rachel Roberts, Idaho Statesman 48 points (1 first-place vote)
- Dennis Knight, Savannah Morning News 39 points
- Bennett Durando, The Montgomery Advertiser 36 points (1 first-place vote)
- Jordan Guskey, The Topeka Capital-Journal 34 points (1 first-place vote)
- James Crabtree-Hannigan, Asheville Citizen Times 32 points
- Nick Kelly, The Tuscaloosa News 27 points
- Christina Long, Southwest Times Record 26 points
- Matt Tait, The Lawrence Journal-World 23 points
- Andrew Abadie, The Pine Belt News 14 points