Chancy Bush of the Colorado Springs Gazette won first place in the Associated Press Sports Editors 2019 contest for sports action photo for the B Division.
Bush will be presented a first-place plaque at the 2020 APSE Summer Conference Banquet at The Alexander Hotel in Indianapolis on June 27.
Sports editors in the B Division submitted 437 action photo entries. The contest is open to APSE members. Click here to join.
Contest chair Lisa Wilson and fellow APSE officers Todd M. Adams, Gary Potosky and Dan Spears prepared the entries.
In February, Associated Press photographers selected a top 10. The winner in each category will receive a plaque at the summer conference. The second- through 10th-place finishers will receive certificates.
Judging in the feature photo category was based quality of photo.
The top 10 is listed below with links to the winning entries.
- Chancey Bush, The Gazette (Colorado Springs)
- Kareem Elgazzar, The Cincinnati Enquirer
- Jeff Siner, The Charlotte Observer
- Matt Stone, Boston Herald
- Chris Christo, Boston Herald
- Alton Strupp, The Courier Journal (No. 7 image in gallery)
- Andrew Nelles, The Tennessean (Nashville, Tenn.) (second when you scroll down)
- Ron Cortes, San Antonio Express-News
- Ian Maule, Tulsa World
- Michael Johnson, The Villages Daily Sun