The Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch/dispatch.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking applicants for two positions: a sports real-time reporter and a fall sports intern. More information on responsibilities and requirements of each position is below.
- Click here to apply for the real-time reporter position.
- Click here to apply for the fall sports internship
Sports Real-Time Reporter
The Columbus Dispatch/dispatch.com is seeking an enterprising reporter who understands how to engage collegiate and professional sports audiences.
In a market with top-tier college and professional sports, the real-time reporter has a finger on the pulse of what fans are talking about and enhances the second-screen experience around big events.
While the real-time reporter doesn’t have a traditional beat, this person is a force-multiplier who enhances coverage from beat reporters by assisting in breaking news coverage, delivering real-time reactions to big plays/events, bringing historical insight around our market’s biggest teams and helping drive fan engagement through social media.
The ideal candidate has or can quickly gain a wealth of knowledge around Columbus and Ohio sports, understands fan bases and how they interact with each other and has experience running branded social media accounts as well as using audience insights to assist in news judgment.
Columbus is one of the fastest-growing cities in the country, with a vibrant arts scene, two professional sports teams and is the home of Ohio State University, one of the largest colleges in the U.S. with a diverse student population. Columbus boasts world-class restaurants, shopping and entertainment and is a short drive away from two of Ohio’s other major cities, Cincinnati and Cleveland, as well as the outdoor wonder of Hocking Hills State Park and the Wayne National Forest.
- Keep readers up to date on trending news important in the market.
- Work with beat writers to complement their coverage.
- Use metrics-based decision-making to craft how you approach the job.
- Craft coverage based on historical success and adapted approach based on digital metrics and audience needs.
- Bachelor’s or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience. We will also consider candidates with significant intern experience.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about sports and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- 1-2 years’ reporting/newsroom experience preferred, but entry-level candidates will be considered.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Strong command of grammar and AP style.
- Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and “publication ready.”
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Able to work late nights or weekends as needed by the news cycle.
- High-level writing, communication, and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline.
- Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Comfort with using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen, motor vehicle record check and background check.
When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
Fall Internship, Sports – Reporting, Producing, Social Media
The Columbus Dispatch/dispatch.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a Fall Sports Intern to participate in our Internship Program.
This paid internship program gives college students looking for a professional-level experience an opportunity to work in The Columbus Dispatch | dispatch.com newsroom during the Fall semester. This reporter will help cover an array of topics, including high school sports, college football, Major League Soccer, and the National Hockey League. The Dispatch is looking for someone who can produce breaking news, high-value enterprise, and entertaining features. This reporter will develop content that takes advantage of all delivery forms available to us, including social media, mobile, desktop, video, and print.
The program will include extensive one-on-one coaching and mentoring, but the intern is expected to handle stories independently and effectively in a 24/7 deadline-driven environment.
- Tackle daily assignments that could include breaking news reporting or feature writing, online production assignments, social media, research, and fact-checking.
- Gather information from sources at any location and through any means commonly available for news stories.
- Harness social media and messaging platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok and/or Reddit, as a newsgathering tool.
- Optimize stories for target audience groups using SEO and metrics information.
- Quickly and accurately report information, either orally or electronically, for publication.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions.
- The student must have completed one year of college, preferably in a journalism program. Preference is given to more advanced students. Those who have completed undergraduate work or are in graduate programs are accepted.
- Strong command of AP writing, spelling, grammar, and style.
- Solid fact-checking and reporting skills.
- Solid news judgment and adherence to journalism ethics.
- Dedication to fairness and accuracy, as well as a commitment to report with compassion and sensitivity.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and flexible.
- Open to new ideas, new experiences, and learning on the job.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Technical skills (will vary depending on the assignment).
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience performing a wide variety of tasks under the pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- If you are selected for a driving role, these positions require a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check and drug screen (for driving roles only).