The Seattle Times, a family-owned news organization and one of the nation’s premier regional news sources, is looking for a Sports Desk Editor to join our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom. As part of our team, you will ensure news copy moves rapidly through initial draft to final product with accuracy, correct grammar and style, and a sense of fairness and inclusivity. You should be comfortable working under tight deadlines with ease while supporting multiple editors at once. Ideally, you have previous experience (and mastery) with both AP and local style.
Schedule | Variable schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Please note | While this is a remote work opportunity, finalists must be current or future residents of the Puget Sound region to be considered.
- Copy editing stories for web and print publication and helping produce digital news alerts and email newsletters
- Writing Web headlines with SEO in mind and print headlines that expand on them
- Evaluating, selecting and posting wire stories
- Working collaboratively with various teams at The Seattle Times, on web and print production
- Maintaining a consistent high-quality product with sharp grammar and unfailing accuracy
- Continuously working to improve the efficiency and speed of the copy-editing process and the cultural inclusivity of the newspaper
We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive newsroom and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. If your profile doesn’t match this job description exactly, you may still be a candidate for this position. Please let us know how your skills and experience relate to the role and its objectives in your cover letter.
- Experience: At least three years of editing at a daily newspaper
- Education: College degree, or equivalent combination of education and/or professional experience
- Strong editing skills, as demonstrated by performance on an editing test
- Strong news judgment
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work under deadline pressure
- Track record of inclusive journalism practices
- Adeptness with newsletters / social media: ability to engage with readers on multiple platforms
- Familiarity with WordPress is a plus
Please Note | This is a union position and will require regular union dues be paid monthly.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. We serve the Pacific Northwest with thoughtful, independent journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 2.1 million. At The Seattle Times, you’ll find work that matters.