Jim Davis of The Boston Globe won first place in the 2021 Associated Press Sports Editors contest in the Division A Feature Photos category.
Davis will be presented a first-place plaque at the 2022 APSE Summer Conference banquet at The Alexander Hotel in Indianapolis on June 18. Click here to register for the conference.
Mike De Sisti of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel finished second, and Kirthmon F. Dozier of the Detroit Free Press took third.
Sports editors in Division A submitted 43 entries in Feature Photos.
Contest chair Jorge Rojas and fellow APSE officers Gary Potosky, Naila-Jean Meyers and Ed Reed prepared the entries. The contest is open to APSE members.
In February, photographers from The Associated Press met and handled judging for the photo portion of the APSE contest. They chose a top 10 and then ranked them 1-10.
The winner in each category will receive a plaque at the summer conference. The second- through 10th-place finishers will receive frameable certificates.
The ranked top 10 is listed below.1. Jim Davis, The Boston Globe
2. Mike De Sisti, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
3. Kirthmon F. Dozier, Detroit Free Press
4. Matt Freed, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
5. Katherine Frey, The Washington Post
6. Alexandra Garcia, The New York Times
7. Robert Gauthier, Los Angeles Times
8. Tammy Ljungblad, The Kansas City Star
9. Hiroko Masuike, The New York Times
10. Rob Schumacher, The Arizona Republic