The Colorado Springs Gazette and Denver Gazette are looking for a hungry, high-powered sports reporter to cover the Denver Broncos.
This reporter is expected to break news and provide exclusive content and analysis in a competitive environment. The reporter will need to develop strong professional relationships with players, coaches, team management and other sources. This reporter must be able to find and break news, cover breaking news with urgency and develop compelling enterprise and analysis. The reporter will write about games and the day-to-day activities of the team, as well as produce features and notebooks.
But we’re looking for a candidate who can take us to the next level of coverage with off-day stories, enterprise reporting, weekly podcasts with our digital team and digital sports editor, regular radio work, an extensive social media presence and thoughtful profiles on the team. We’re looking for a reporter who can add value to what Broncos fans who watch the games already know. That means seeking out stories other media outlets don’t have. Originality and work ethic are two of the characteristics we prize the most in our sports correspondents. The reporter will also work with others on staff to produce compelling video and alternative story formats to engage readers.
Email questions and applications to email@example.com
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Break news on a competitive beat. Quickly, clearly and accurately report breaking news as it happens.
- Build a range of sources throughout the teams and leagues assigned.
- Write analytically for fans looking for a deeper dive into sports and results.
- Spot trends on and off the field. Take national topics and relate them on local level. Offer story ideas but also take assignments.
- Collaborate with editors, reporters, producers and designers.
- Be present on social media. Use it as a tool to build audience, extend the brand and to post breaking news.
- Stay abreast of all major news development concerning the Broncos and their owners, coaches and staff.
- Produce strong features, enterprise and and behind-the-scenes reports on the team.
- Use rich media to enhance storytelling to engage readers.
- Job will require a range of hours, including nights, weekends and travel to all Broncos games and critical Broncos- and NFL-related events.
- Fill assignment shifts and other duties as assigned, including backup work on Avs, Nuggets, Rockies, etc.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Minimum Education & Work Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English or related field.
- 5 years of Newsroom management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work with all types and act as a liaison between departments.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and deal effectively/politely with the staff they supervise, colleagues, contractors, the general public.
- Excellent problem-solving ability and decision-making skills.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex documents.
- Respond effectively to sensitive inquiries/complaints.
- Ability to communicate persuasively with newsroom staff.
- Deals well under pressure and deadlines.
- Able to react to change productively.
- Must have strong journalism ethics.
- Must be organized and detail oriented.
- Excellent computer and internet skills.
- Ability to use text-editing programs including Microsoft Office.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Salary Range: $60,000-$70,000 Annually