August Frank of the Lewiston Tribune in Idaho won first place in the 2021 Associated Press Sports Editors contest in the Division C Action Photos category.
Frank will be presented a first-place plaque at the 2022 APSE Summer Conference banquet at The Alexander Hotel in Indianapolis on June 18. Click here to register for the conference.
Woody Marshall of the News & Record in Greensboro, N.C., finished second, and Matt Dayhoff of the Peoria Journal Star took third.
Sports editors in Division C submitted 34 entries in Action Photos.
Contest chair Jorge Rojas and fellow APSE officers Gary Potosky, Naila-Jean Meyers and Ed Reed prepared the entries. The contest is open to APSE members.
In February, photographers from The Associated Press met and handled judging for the photo portion of the APSE contest. They chose a top 10 and then ranked them 1-10.
The winner in each category will receive a plaque at the summer conference. The second- through 10th-place finishers will receive frameable certificates.
The ranked top 10 is listed below.
1. August Frank, The Lewiston (Idaho) Tribune
2. Woody Marshall, News & Record (Greensboro, N.C.)
3. Matt Dayhoff, Peoria Journal Star
4. Andy Abeyta, The Desert Sun (Palm Springs, Calif.)
5. Zach Wilkinson, The Lewiston (Idaho) Tribune
6. Sarah A. Miller, Idaho Statesman (Boise)
7. Darin Oswald, Idaho Statesman (Boise)
8. Walt Unks, Winston-Salem Journal
9. Chuck Meyers, Altoona (Pa.) Mirror