The Naples Daily News, a member of The USA Today Florida Sports Network, seeks an experienced and self-driven reporter who is energized by the opportunity to enhance its Southwest Florida sports coverage.
The right candidate will be someone who can produce enterprise and investigative reports, write compelling features, build sources and break news.
This reporter will follow the key local topics such as the Division I athletic program at Florida Gulf Coast University, spearhead coverage of area PGA, LPGA and Champions Tour tournaments and contribute to our award-winning high school sports coverage. The right person will also be able to research and adapt to write in-depth pieces on a wide array of sports topics.
This position requires someone who thinks digital first. Multimedia skills including the ability to produce and edit video and engage audience on social media, especially Twitter and Instagram, and produce podcasts is a must. The candidate must be comfortable analyzing and interpreting metrics to help make coverage decisions.
The right candidate will work closely with the team from The News-Press to cover all of Southwest Florida and also collaborate with reporters in Gannett’s other 17 Florida markets to enhance local content but also content for the Florida network and GolfWeek.
Key attributes for success:
· Be the source of sports information in Southwest Florida.
· The ability to report and write compelling stories that serve our existing audience and helps attract new consumers
· Passionate about getting the information to the audience first, and excited about using all the various platforms to connect with audience including videos, social media and podcasting.
· Self-starter with the ability to develop relationships.
· Understanding the collaborative nature of journalism and willing and eager to work with others to benefit the regional and statewide coverage and its audience.
· Experience writing or editing at a newspaper or website.
· Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field.
· Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability. Able to use best SEO practices to draw eyeballs to content.
· Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure.
· Highly organized and detail-oriented with a proven ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks.
· Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style. Ability and willingness to work nights and weekends.
· Comfort building a beat and communicating with athletes and coaches.
· This role requires a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Please include a cover letter including anecdotal examples of your work and how you would approach this role. Additionally, please provide links to at least three pieces of content that demonstrate your best work to Ed Reed (email@example.com).