We’re looking for an Internet-savvy, creative and organized curator/programmer/editor to help showcase the Winter Olympics — one of the world’s biggest sporting events — on Yahoo Sports. You will be responsible for building original blog posts and photo galleries; editing and engaging content; and helping maintain several social media accounts. The ideal candidate will have a background in online production and publishing. A knack for what works in social media and a passion for sports is highly desirable.
Successful candidates must be proactive, able to multitask, be highly adaptable in a rapidly changing, high-pressure environment and be extremely organized. Candidates must also be technically sound, solution-oriented and have a solid background in working with complex online content management tools.
A commitment to accuracy and quality control is incredibly important, along with experience writing headlines and editing. A working knowledge of Associated Press style is strongly encouraged.
Key traits include being flexible, energetic, efficient and able to work independently on deadline while maintaining attention to detail. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are a must, as this position requires interacting with fellow employees throughout the company to ensure that the users’ experiences are always of the highest quality. Time management skills are critical.
Fair warning: There will be unconventional shifts involved with this position, including late-night and early morning shifts. We’re all going to be working these shifts, so if you want to have a normal sleep schedule, this is not for you.
Requirements and job roles
- Solid background in online content management tools.
- Experience in site editorial production and publishing. Background in sports and an understanding of Winter Olympic Games a plus.
- Experience in using social media networks to both promote and find stories, including Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Reddit.
- Must possess clear voice, energetic writing ability, critical eye and knowledge of major news trends. Blogging experience helpful.
- Write and create buzzy/trending posts on Yahoo Sports’ Olympics blog, Fourth-Place Medal
- Edit original content
- Enhance content with videos, slideshows, social media embeds, etc.
- Working knowledge of Photoshop. Ability to create animated GIFs a strong plus.
- Create GIFs that can be used across multiple platforms: Identify newsworthy and buzzy moments in events and generate content for Olympics site, Tumblr, Twitter, etc.
- Create photo galleries
This role will be located in Playa Vista, Calif., will be full-time work (40 hours a week including nights and weekends) and will run from January 22-February 27. Candidates must already be based in the LA-metro area.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to WinterOlympicsContractor@yahoo.com.