The Seattle Times is a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, recognized as one of the best in the country. At The Seattle Times, your work matters. We are a family-owned-and-operated company; dedicated to the community we serve. The Times is a drug-free workplace and equal opportunity employer. Learn more about our company at seattletimescompany.com.
The Seattle Times is looking for a full-time sports producer to direct our digital sports content and join a thriving digital news team. This is a demanding role that requires: the ability to lead and inspire others, an outside-the-box thinker unafraid to take risks, a solid foundation in journalistic principles and ethics, excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to juggle and quickly adapt to changing needs, a willingness to keep up with the latest tools and techniques and the desire to work collaboratively with an award-winning Sports and newsroom staff to take Seattle Times’ digital sports to the next level.
Major job functions include:
- Leading our Digital Sports team, showing bold leadership on initiatives that grow readership of Times sports content.
- Advancing new forms of digital storytelling with an eye to user engagement.
- Conceptualizing, assigning and producing special online packages. Working collaboratively with designers, developers and writers, as well as with the business side sales and marketing teams to maximize and monetize content.
- Producing, overseeing and updating the Sports homepage and other Sports landing pages on seattletimes.com.
- Executing an overall social-media plan, with an emphasis on our main Twitter channel (@seatimessports) and Facebook.
- Curating the best information on the day’s key topics, integrating content from users, social streams and trusted third parties, where relevant.
- Coordinating the flow of breaking news to various digital platforms, ensuring that Sports channels meet the needs of customers 24/7, with a particular emphasis on engaging readers during and immediately after live games and events.
This job is for you if you have:
- A passion for sports and a desire to continue the transformation of a storied newspaper into a cutting-edge digital news operation.
- A desire to lead and collaborate with teams across the organization to improve the digital news experience.
- Preferred candidates should have experience working on a Sports website or blog.
- Excellent sports knowledge and news judgment.
- Native-level fluency with the web and a deep understanding of how people use digital tools to produce and consume information.
- Knowledge of AP style, understanding of SEO principles and strong writing ability, particularly for headlines and summaries.
- Facility with the use of social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) in a news environment.
- Familiarity with content management tools such as WordPress.
- Basic understanding of HTML, web design principles and multimedia production tools.
- Thorough knowledge of and active presence on multiple social-media platforms.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Applicants must apply on-line at https://rn22.ultipro.com/SEA1004/jobboard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=209
To apply, please submit the following:
2) critique of seattletimes.com sports homepage uploaded in a MS Word document;
3) links to 3 samples of your work in your resume and/or attach relevant screen shots of your work as a separate document (Word or PDF preferred);
4) list of references (with at least one being a former manager/supervisor).
Attachments are uploaded on the same page where you upload your resume. After uploading the resume, use your back browser to return to the page and upload additional attachments. Please note: file size limit is 4MB (4,000KB)
For application assistance only, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.