The Tennessean is looking to add a dynamic member to join our sports team as its sports columnist.
This position is the No. 1 voice on our digital and print platforms, providing commentary on Nashville and state sports personalities, events and moments.
This is the city that drew 600,000 people over three days to be part of the NFL Draft. A city with NFL and NHL franchises, and an MLS soccer team on the way. We have SEC schools here with Vanderbilt and in Knoxville with the Tennessee Volunteers to go along with a vast prep sports scene. And there has been talk of MLB, NASCAR and perhaps a PGA golf event eventually coming to the Music City.
This position demands a new way of creating sports content (social posts, smart takes, video, news stories and columns) and fresh approaches to how it’s shared and how we connect with our audience.
It will require the successful candidate to:
- Create smart, thoughtful, engaging, sophisticated content in a variety of formats on Nashville and regional sports to help grow audience. The focus will be on professional and major college sports, but also state-wide and national topics that help readers understand the sports world. Urgency – the ability to react quickly to events – will be crucial.
- Provide leadership on developing audiences on Facebook, Twitter and emerging social platforms.
- Display creativity in everything from developing column ideas to writing SEO-friendly headlines to sharing content socially to having an eye for images and video.
- Be among the strongest reporters and storytellers in our newsroom, able to write quickly and with voice, and also bring a sense of fun to the job.
- Be comfortable appearing on camera and in front of a crowd.
Our news organization is the state’s No. 1 source for sports news and commentary. The Tennessean has Nashville’s largest and most-trusted newsroom, and tennessean.com has the most visitors, page views and engagement in the region.
Valid Drivers License required for this position.
HOW TO APPLY
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, please put together a single document file that includes as much of the following as possible:
1.Your updated resume
2.A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job and why you’re a fit.
3.Links to 3-5 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
Our application only allows for one document upload, so it’s important that these items be assembled in a single document and uploaded in PDF format.
Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount programs and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is top-notch and the contributions you make up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% company match.