Here is the agenda for the Southeast Region meeting on Feb. 21 at Full Sail University in Winter Park, Fla. Here is a map for parking and the entrance.
Also remember, even
if you aren’t in the Southeast region but you are going to be around town for judging, or just in Florida for the weather, you are welcome to come to the meeting. No charge. I’ll even be serving up donuts. I ran on a campaign that food would be provided, so I’m living up to my promise.
Also, if you know you will be attending please let me know so I can get an idea of space and of course, donuts.
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out!
* 9-9:30: Registration (bagels and donuts will be served)
* 9:30-9:45 a.m.: Welcome and any quick region updates.
* 9:45-10:45 a.m.: How to cover recruiting when you aren’t a service. — Recruiting is a national topic all year long, and there are many services that specialize in that. But what if you aren’t a service? How can you best cover a topic that has so much interest when certain places make recruiting their bread and butter? Best practices from the Orlando Sentinel and the Opelika-Auburn News.
* 11-12: When hard news meets sports: From the Pulse Nightclub shootings, to Castro, to day-to-day crime, sports writers have to be able to cover everything. And sometimes, they aren’t sports stories, but sports writers are used just the same. How sports and news meet and intersect with panelists from the Orlando Sentinel, the Miami Herald and The Tuscaloosa News.
* 12-1:15: Lunch (plenty around Full Sail to get on your own).
* 1:15-2:15: Big Events in Your Town, but no local teams: Whether it’s a state football championship or the College Football Playoff National Championship or the Super Bowl, big events happen all over, and many times you don’t have local teams participating. How do you cover that in print and digitally? A talk with The Tampa Bay Times, The Orlando Sentinel and The Advocate of Baton Rouge.
* 2:15-3: SnapChat, the latest and greatest. Also a comparison to Instagram. Presented by our hosts at Full Sail.