The (Santa Rosa, Calif.) Press Democrat, a division of Sonoma Media Investments is looking for candidates to fill a vacancy as a reporter/ columnist in its sports department. The Press Democrat focuses its coverage, both in print and on digital platforms, on the unique subject matter that is at our fingertips in Sonoma County. High school athletics is our primary subject matter, but the calendar also is rich in recreation sports – running, bicycling and boating – and we have two successful college sports programs in our area, Santa Rosa Junior College and NCAA Division II Sonoma State University. A worthy candidate for the position would be a skilled writer and reporter who can work effectively on deadline. Excellent sports knowledge is a must and fluency in Spanish would be a distinguishing factor
This position is responsible for:
- Developing and writing timely stories within deadlines and ahead of competing news outlets
- Delivering news and information for print and online platforms
- Cultivate and maintain news sources and monitor developments in the news
- Identify photographs, video and graphics to illustrate stories
- Identify multimedia elements to enhance stories online.
- Communicate with callers on stories and evaluate story tips from the public
- Mastering alternative forms of news delivery, such as Twitter feeds and blog formats.
§ Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
§ At least two years experience with a daily newspaper or similar publication
§ Spanish language skills is preferred
§ Multimedia skills a plus.
The Press Democrat values the contribution of their employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, accident insurance and paid time off.
Additionally, we are committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing. Some of the above positions require a valid California State Driver's License, proof of insurance and reliable transportation. See job description for details.
To be considered please submit a cover letter, resume and up to six samples of your best work to: firstname.lastname@example.org and put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
The Press Democrat is an Equal Opportunity Employer