As the Assistant Sports Editor, you will play a vital role in shaping how the San Francisco Chronicle reports on the country’s most interesting sports market, featuring the world-champion Golden State Warriors, the three-time champion San Francisco Giants and the iconic San Francisco 49ers football franchise.
You will help a team of reporters and columnists transform the sports section into a digital-first, must-read for the Bay Area and beyond.
Working closely with the Editor, you will drive the section in a new direction.
What will you do?
- Move fast and break news.
- Run a team of reporters covering pro, college and prep sports.
- Edit blog posts and online features for immediate publication.
- Stay on top of developing business news and craft the department’s strategy for telling the stories of the day.
- Promote content on social media and engage readers across platforms.
- Dream up creative ways to tell stories and inform readers.
What will it take to be successful?
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Journalism, English or related field
- 3-5+ years editing and writing experience at a newspaper, magazine, digital news or sports related website
- Demonstrated experience as a skilled manager, a clear communicator and the kind of person who turns ideas into finished products.
- A passion for sports journalism, on the field and off, is required.
- To be considered for this position, you must demonstrate a command of editing and understand how to produce superior content across multiple platforms.
- Excellent reporting skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with fellow editors and the design and photography team as well as a variety of people, internally and externally
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with a proven ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks
- Demonstrated success working in a deadline-driven environment
- Social media experience
About the San Francisco Chronicle & SFGATE:
The Chronicle is world-class journalism, San Francisco style. With name-brand voices and a keen editorial eye, The Chronicle is an authority that still surprises. It’s not afraid of being controversial or of doing things that haven’t been done. It’s bolder, brighter, fearless. It’s news that is delivered to the discerning reader through multiple platforms.
SFGATE provides a 360-degree view of San Francisco, wildly reflective of right now. Provocative, energetic and unapologetic,SFGATE is in constant conversation with the world’s most eclectic city. It is the digital thermometer that gauges the temperature of San Francisco’s moods, trends and interests — and shares them with the world.
Join our team of world-class journalists and exceptional professionals.