Thomas Johnson’s presentation handout from the 2017 APSE Summer Convention
How to make compelling sports videos
Pick the right topic
- Before starting, think about the visuals. What kind of b-roll is available?
- What is the shelf-life of the topic?
- Try to minimize talking heads on screen.
- Don’t be scared to experiment and be humorous.
- Strong personalities and characters are key.
- Viewers can find highlights anywhere. What can you do to set yourself apart?
Coordinate the coverage
- Work with print reporters/editor to coordinate interviews.
- Is the video a complementary element or standalone package?
- If complementary:
- It doesn’t have to tell the whole story.
- Can instead focus on most visual portion of larger story.
- If complementary:
- Make sure subjects answer questions in complete sentences.
- Ask them to restate the question in the answer.
- Use two cameras so there is a wide shot and a tight shot to cut between answers.
- The first few seconds of a video are key. Engagement drops off quickly.
- Grab the viewer’s attention immediately.
- Strong, short quotes work well, especially when paired with larger text on screen.
- Aim for a faster pace, using quick cuts of varied b-roll.
Shorter is (generally) better
- Good rule of thumb: Aim for two minutes or under.
- Does it need to be longer?
- The longer the video, the more varied b-roll is needed.
- Most people watch social videos on phones.
- On Facebook and Instagram, most videos are muted.
- Can the video work without sound? It should.
Just like Steph: Fans imitate the MVP’s mouthguard munching at the free throw line: https://www.facebook.com/BayAreaNewsGroup.Golden.State.Warriors/videos/1160142850706548/
Shea Patterson helmet cam: http://usatodayhss.com/2015/video-calvary-baptist-la-qb-shea-patterson-wears-helmet-cam-at-7-on-7
NBA free agency in 90 seconds http://wapo.st/29xdLEH
The Return: Kevin Durant to OKC (promo) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJNHtzOMZc
Beer man dreams of Beltway World Series
Redskins’ Josh Norman returns home to host his fourth ‘Fun Day in the Park’ http://wapo.st/29QQcTe
Posing, dancing and unusual questions: Inside Wizards media day
Amari Cooper’s NFL journey began at The Barnyard
The dynasty begins: Warriors win 2017 NBA Finals: