With the 2016 Associated Press Sports Editors Summer Conference just a little more than a month away, here are some reminders and updates about the conference in Charlotte:
Conference hotel reservation deadline is Friday
Reserve your room for the 43rd annual APSE conference today. Room rate for the June 22-25 conference at the Omni-Charlotte is $179, but that rate is good only if booked by May 20.
To make reservations at The Omni – Charlotte:
- Click on this link: Omni Hotel Charlotte Reservations(no additional codes needed on the form)
- call (800) 843-6664 and ask for the APSE Conference rate of $179
- Reservation deadline is May 20 at 5 p.m.
Arrive early: General membership meeting moved to Wednesday
In a change from the normal format, the general membership meeting, usually held as the first session Thursday morning, will be combined with the Wednesday executive committee meeting in order to accommodate what promises to be a jam-packed and enticing general session/workshop schedule.
The combined meeting will start at approximately 4 p.m. with a schedule finish at 6 p.m.
NASCAR Hall will be site of opening night
You think that driving one of those NASCAR race cars is easy? Well, try your hand at it — in a simulator race car — when APSE’s annual summer conference takes place in Charlotte, N.C. in a little more than seven weeks.
The NASCAR Hall of Fame, an easy 10-minute walk from the host hotel, will be the site of the opening night reception. Guests will be able to test their driving reflexes in a race car simulator, and they can try hand at changing a tire while a pit stop clock is running.
Food, drink and a chance to see some of NASCAR’s history will mark the opening of APSE’s 43rd annual summer conference, which will be June 22-25. The opening reception will start at approximately 6:30 p.m.
Conference registration info
Registration for APSE’s annual summer conference remains open.
The conference will be held at the Omni-Charlotte. Room rate until May 20 is $179.
A tentative schedule will be released this week.
Basic conference fees remain unchanged from last year, though Writers Wing members have a new option and students have a reduced fee.
The fees, if paid by June 1:
- $250 for newspapers with circulation of more than 100,000 and stand-alone websites with monthly uniques of two million or more. Late registration after June 1 — $275
- $200 for newspapers with circulation of under 100,000 and stand-alone websites with monthly uniques of more than two million. Late registration after June 1 — $225
- NEW! $50 for students. Late registration after June 1 — $75
- NEW! $100 for Writers Wing members OR $50 for a day session. Late registration after June 1 — $125. Fee for non-members is $150, $175 after June 1.
To register and pay online, go to the following link: http://apsportseditors.org/convention-registration/
If paying by check, make checks payable to APSE and send to:
Richmond, VA 23242
Need a roommate?
If you’re looking for a roommate for the 2016 APSE Conference in Charlotte June 22-25, contact roommate coordinator Jane Havsy of the Daily Record (Parsippany, N.J.):
o: (973) 428-6682
Contact APSE Executive Director Jack Berninger at:
H: (804) 741-1565
C: (804) 754-6148