The Associated Press seeks a talented text editor to join its Sports department as a newsperson, based in Phoenix, Arizona.
Reporting to the deputy sports editor, this editor will edit and publish breaking news coverage in text as part of a dynamic, 24/7 operation that covers sports around the world. The successful candidate will strive to ensure AP coverage of sports is accurate, fast, distinctive and packaged creatively. Editors ensure that urgent news is published quickly while keeping an eye toward developing the story throughout the news cycle and beyond. The position also will be expected to create eye-catching social promotion, find and verify important user-generated content and use digital tools to present stories in unique ways. The successful candidate will occasionally cover news and sports events as a reporter. This newsperson will have the ability and willingness to work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
- have a demonstrated history of successful text editing of sports news, with a record of assisting reporters and producers to create and deliver compelling work on deadline and produce enterprise that is illuminating and entertaining.
- work among a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver spot news and enterprise coverage that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP.
- have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- have a great news sense, with the ability to communicate and drive stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms.
- pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
This newsperson must have demonstrated excellence as a text editor, with a deep record of editing exclusive and distinctive spot news and enterprise stories. Applicants must be able to help reporters and producers explain complex stories in clear and compelling ways, guide reporters and news editors during the reporting, writing and presentation process, and do so swiftly and accurately on tight deadlines. Applicants must have a demonstrated history of working with colleagues in remote locations, and the ability to reorder priorities quickly. The successful candidate must be able to work effectively as a member of a team and should have at least one year of full-time experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English.
- Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and deliver success on complex, challenging storylines.
Application Deadline: February 6, 2020, @ 11:59 PM EST