The Arizona Republic is seeking a content coach to supervise coverage of college and high school sports in Metro Phoenix and across Arizona. The coach, working at an assistant sports editor level, applies specific expertise to ensure that reporters create high-quality content for all platforms – digital, print, TV and social media – and coordinates coverage operation plans from origination through handoff to platform finishers, ensuring that coverage plans match overall departmental and newsroom strategy.
This coach also will be responsible for supervising major events, such as college postseason games and tournaments. Focus areas include, but are not limited to: beat development, investigative reporting, narrative writing and digital content. The coach encourages independent planning and self-direction – before, during and after the creation of content – helping reporters shape ideas and tailor content specific to audience and platform. At times the coach takes a hands-on approach to accelerate a story’s path to publication, and focuses on the most important, sensitive and complex stories.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES:
* Supervises the work of reporters and photographers, with an emphasis on independent idea and content generation. Works individually with content creator by identifying areas for improvement and coaching them on how to elevate their work.
* Works with the content strategist and audience analyst to apply research in creating high quality content and marketing initiatives that best serves key audience needs.
* Edits the top fraction of enterprise, watchdog or investigative content that needs a high-level line editing touch and sometimes taking a hands-on approach to accelerate the path to publication.
* Participates in community-connection discussions to advocate for audiences.
* Monitors real-time data to direct changes tied to the data.
* Identifies and address training needs of individuals and groups.
* Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
* Performs other duties as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
* Ability to edit and lead top-notch watchdog journalism.
* Ability to build coalitions around evolving needs.
* Exceptional cross-platform storytelling skills.
* Exceptional coaching skills.
* Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
* Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
* Self-motivation and self-direction.
* Industry knowledge.
* Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
* Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour news environment.
* Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
* Must embrace peer-to-peer training, as a both a teacher and student.
* Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
* Writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
* Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
For more information, contact Mark Faller, director, azcentral sports, email@example.com