STUDENT CHAPTER REQUIREMENTS
Student chapters must apply and be approved by a vote of the APSE executive committee. To fulfill requirements to submit an APSE student chapter application, a prospective chapter must secure:
- A faculty member who will serve as chapter adviser (chapter adviser pays the educator dues fee of $100 upon approval of chapter application by APSE executive committee)
- A roster of interested chapter members, their academic classification and email addresses. To apply for chapter status, the application must include a minimum of 10 students who would pay dues upon approval of application. Dues are set by each chapter and are to be used by the chapter for bringing in speaker, pizza for meetings, travel to APSE or other journalism events or however the chapter sees fit. Dues are not transferred to APSE.
- A list of officers or potential officers. A proposed president for the chapter must be in place at time of application. It is recommended that each chapter also include a vice president and a secretary/treasurer.
- A resume of the student chapter president.
- A resume of the student chapter adviser.
- An essay stating why you seek to establish an APSE student chapter and what you hope to achieve through affiliation with APSE. The essay should include details about the adviser’s involvement in the student chapter and also note any professional APSE members who have indicated their willingness to participate in your chapter.
- An outline of your short- and long-term goals for the chapter, including proposed plans for the academic year (fund-raising, guest speakers, meeting frequency, etc.)
- Written proof from your university that your chapter has or will seek to be recognized by your university as an official student organization. Also include requirements regarding such recognition that APSE should know about.
- Send chapter membership applications with all the information requested above, or any inquiries about chapter membership or individual student memberships to:
- If you have questions, contact Executive Director Bill Eichenberger at (631) 351-5889 or firstname.lastname@example.org
CURRENT STUDENT CHAPTERS
(Click on chapter name to get complete information about the chapter)
Ohio University — adviser: Justice B. Hill, email@example.com
Oklahoma State University — Adviser: Ted Kian, firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Alabama at Birmingham — Adviser: Marie Sutton, email@example.com
University of Maryland — adviser: Beth Mechum, firstname.lastname@example.org
Virginia Tech University — adviser: Erik Hall, email@example.com