CURRENT STUDENT CHAPTERS
WHY BECOME AN APSE STUDENT CHAPTER?
For 46 years, APSE, an organization that today consists of nearly 400 sports editors, journalism educators, writers and students, has strived to encourage and recognize quality sports journalism and develop quality sports journalists. Today that means assisting members in adapting in a rapidly changing digital publishing age, while continuing to publish robust print editions that live up to our proud newspaper legacies.
When you create an APSE student chapter, your students have access to sports journalism leaders at the top newspapers and websites.
- Networking: The No. 1 asset for any aspiring young journalist. This is the most direct line to a coveted internship, or a first full-time job.
- Student contest: Compete with the best college sports writers, bolster you resume, but most importantly have your work critiqued by seasoned editors who will give you an honest look at where you are, and where you need to go with your skills.
- Scholarship: APSE offers four $1,500 scholarships each year for students based on their journalistic work, academics, financial need and geography.
- Feedback: Reach out to an APSE editor anytime of the year and have your resume, cover letter and published (and in some cases, unpublished) articles evaluated.
- Regional meetings: Find a regional meeting (they’re only one day!) near you and put yourself in front of the top people in this business. APSE has nine regions nationwide, all of which hold annual gatherings. Learn from the best, and come ready to ask the questions that matter most to you.
- National convention: APSE meets every summer for four days, each year in a different location, to make and improve professional connections, socialize, participate in informative panels and discussions, and help each other succeed.
We cannot imagine a college student serious about a career in sports journalism who would not benefit from membership in our organization.
Here is a link to our student chapter sign-up page: http://apsportseditors.com/apse-student-chapters-and-application/
Of note for students who want to attend the 2020 APSE summer conference in Indianapolis: Student members will have access to accommodations in a dormitory at IUPUI that is across the street from the events taking place on June 25 and June 26. The rate is expected to be significantly lower than that at the hotel.
STUDENT CHAPTER REQUIREMENTS
Student chapters must apply and be approved by a vote of the APSE executive committee. To submit an APSE student chapter application, a prospective chapter must secure:
- A faculty member who will serve as chapter adviser (chapter adviser pays the educator dues fee of $100 upon approval of chapter application by APSE executive committee)
- A roster of interested chapter members, their academic classification and email addresses. No minimum number of chapter members is required, unless a certain number of members is required by the university to become an official student organization. Student chapter members do not have to pay APSE dues, though chapters can set dues for their own use.
- A list of officers or potential officers. A proposed president for the chapter must be in place at time of application. It is recommended that each chapter also include a vice president and a secretary/treasurer.
- An essay stating why you seek to establish an APSE student chapter and what you hope to achieve through affiliation with APSE. The essay should include details about the adviser’s involvement in the student chapter and also note any professional APSE members who have indicated their willingness to participate in your chapter.
- Written proof from your university that your chapter has or will seek to be recognized by your university as an official student organization. Also include requirements regarding such recognition that APSE should know about.