The APSE Southwest Region conference this year will be in Houston on Aug. 5 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Houston Chronicle building (4747 Southwest Freeway, Houston, Texas 77027).
The region conference will host seven professional-development panels ranging from learning to use Google Flourish, to sprucing up those number-heavy stories, to examining newsletters and how to make it them worth your time and effort.
All students and professional journalists in the Southwest (Texas and New Mexico) are invited to attend and take part.
The day will also include resume review for students and young professionals. For more information, contact Southwest Region president Nick Talbot, sports editor of the San Antonio Express-News at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are newsletters worth it? And how to make the most out of your newsletter – Taught by members of the Houston Chronicle newsletter team
- Harnessing the power of data: How to utilize Google to make your web presentations better. This will include how to scrape tables from web pages into Excel, how to make web charts with Google Flourish and examples of using Google Maps to help a story, taught by Nick Talbot of the San Antonio Express-News
- Diversity in the Newsroom A panel with Jenny Dial Creech of the Houston Chronicle and others
- What is important in high school sports? How do you prioritize sports, gamers, features and box scores, the merit of all-area teams and an awards ceremony, led by Joe Battaglia of FloSports and Josh Criswell of the Hunstville Item
- A discussion with the Associated Press with Barry Bedlan and Kristie Rieken
- How to handle and manage your section when design is done by a design center, led by the Houston Chronicle’s Jay Lee and others