With the conference right around the corner (and the special room rate for the hotel expiring in a few days), here is an overview of what the 2016 Summer Conference has in store:
Conference hotel reservation deadline is Friday
Reserve your room for the 43rd annual APSE conference today. Room rate for the June 22-25 conference at the Omni-Charlotte is $179, but that rate is good only if booked by May 20. The rate will go up to more than $200 per night starting Saturday.
Reservation and registration information is below.
What follows is the tentative lineup for Thursday and Friday workshops and general sessions. Times and specifics should be finalized soon.
Educational sessions throughout the day
A “Spotlight” on journalism that makes a difference. Highlighting our members strong investigative work.
- Perils and positives of merging content: Best practices and how to make the most of shared and merged content.
- The newest digital tools: Did you blink? Because when you did, a new app has been developed that you could use for your website and your social media presence.
- Transgender issues: Fighting for what’s right
- Olympics: What you need to know with Rio just around the corner
Innovation: New products that are driving readership, engagement and best of all, revenue
Educational sessions throughout the day
General Session: Aggregation: The Rules of Engagement
We all do it, but who is doing it right and how? A look at best practices, legal protocol and tips from those who do it best.
- Projects How to make the most of opportunities to write them.
- Overcoming Limited Access It’s becoming increasingly difficult to cover athletics and teams due to limited access. This panel discusses the challenges and solutions to reporting with limited or no access, developing alternative sources and breaking out from the pack.
- Sourcing. How to get anyone to tell you exactly what you need.
General session: A Conversation with Red Smith winners
General session: Writers roundtable
- Representative from each professional writers group on a panel to discuss the issues writers and media orgs have covering various sports.
OTHER CONFERENCE REMINDERS
Arrive early: General membership meeting moved to Wednesday
In a change from the normal format, the general membership meeting, usually held as the first session Thursday morning, will be combined with the Wednesday executive committee meeting in order to accommodate what promises to be a jam-packed and enticing general session/workshop schedule.
The combined meeting will start at approximately 4 p.m. with a schedule finish at 6 p.m.
NASCAR Hall will be site of opening night
You think that driving one of those NASCAR race cars is easy? Well, try your hand at it — in a simulator race car — when APSE’s annual summer conference takes place in Charlotte, N.C. in a little more than seven weeks.
The NASCAR Hall of Fame, an easy 10-minute walk from the host hotel, will be the site of the opening night reception. Guests will be able to test their driving reflexes in a race car simulator, and they can try hand at changing a tire while a pit stop clock is running.
Food, drink and a chance to see some of NASCAR’s history will mark the opening of APSE’s 43rd annual summer conference, which will be June 22-25. The opening reception will start at approximately 6:30 p.m.
Conference registration info
Registration for APSE’s annual summer conference remains open.
The conference will be held at the Omni-Charlotte. Room rate until May 20 is $179. (Details below).
A tentative schedule will be released this week.
Basic conference fees remain unchanged from last year, though Writers Wing members have a new option and students have a reduced fee.
The fees, if paid by June 1:
- $250 for newspapers with circulation of more than 100,000 and stand-alone websites with monthly uniques of two million or more. Late registration after June 1 — $275
- $200 for newspapers with circulation of under 100,000 and stand-alone websites with monthly uniques of more than two million. Late registration after June 1 — $225
- NEW! $50 for students. Late registration after June 1 — $75
- NEW! $100 for Writers Wing members OR $50 for a day session. Late registration after June 1 — $125. Fee for non-members is $150, $175 after June 1.
To register and pay online, go to the following link:
If paying by check, make checks payable to APSE and send to:
Richmond, VA 23242
To make reservations at The Omni – Charlotte:
- Click on this link: Omni Hotel Charlotte Reservations(no additional codes needed on the form)
- call (800) 843-6664 and ask for the APSE Conference rate of $179
- Reservation deadline is May 20 at 5 p.m.
Need a roommate?
If you’re looking for a roommate for the 2016 APSE Conference in Charlotte June 22-25, contact roommate coordinator Jane Havsy of the Daily Record (Parsippany, N.J.):
o: (973) 428-6682
Contact APSE Executive Director Jack Berninger at:
H: (804) 741-1565
C: (804) 754-6148